Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Title: Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1)
Author: Ilona Andrews
Synopsis: (As per Goodreads)
Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren’t for the magic…
When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.
Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate’s guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta’s magic circles.
The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate’s guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she’s way out of her league—but she wouldn’t have it any other way…
I’ve always seen the Kate Andrews series listed in my recommendations, but never picked it up. I think it’s because I seem to usually judge a book by its cover…….well, lesson learned!
I was browsing my Libby App for a paranormal read and ended up getting Iron and Magic (the 1st book in the Iron Covenant series). This is a spin-off of the original Kate Daniels series, so I was confused when I started reading this book. There were references to Kate herself and other characters. I ended up really liking this book (review will be coming soon!) so I decided to start from the beginning with Magic Bites.
I was surprised at how much I loved the character of Kate Daniels! This book is definitely an introductory book, but it left me wanting more. I finished it in one sitting and was disappointed that it wasn’t longer.
- Kate Daniels is amazing…….period. She is fierce, snarky, has an actual sense of humor, and is an amazing fighter who can stand up for herself. I was never annoyed with her or found myself rolling my eyes at her actions….which I usually do when reading other female-centered series.
- “What kind of woman greets the Beast Lord with ‘here, kitty, kitty’?” This is the best quote ever!
- This is going to be a slowooooow burn romance and I am here for that!!
- I could have used a little more world-building from Ilona Andrews. It took me a bit to fully understand how magic and technology work in this world. I can tell this is an introductory book, but I am already so excited to continue the series.
- I loved the Pack of shapeshifters and their interactions with Kate. Curran is the BEST! Team Curran and Pack forever!
- There was SO much action in this book that I couldn’t keep up. I was genuinely surprised by the villain and thought it was such a good reveal.
I will definitely be continuing this series. I cannot WAIT to see how this series evolves. I’m just sorry it took me this long to discover these books.
My Rating: 4/5 Stars
*If you’re interested in purchasing this book, you can find it at Amazon here.